Besides providing a simple tool for batch visualization as PNG images, h5utils also includes programs to convert HDF5 datasets into the formats required by other free visualization software (e.g. plain text, Vis5d, and VTK).
Download and Install
The latest version is h5utils 1.12.1, which can be downloaded in source-code form at:
What's new in each version is described in the release notes file.
h5utils is designed for Unix-like operating systems (e.g. GNU/Linux). We do not support Windows directly, although you may be able to install there too using free packages like CygWin.
You must first download and install HDF5, if it is not already on your system. Also, the programs to convert (see below) to/from PNG, Vis5d, GNU Octave, and HDF(4) will only be built if the corresponding libraries/programs are installed.
h5math will only be built if GNU libmatheval is installed.
To compile and install the package, you then just type the usual:
./configure make make install
./configure --help for more options. You can use
make uninstall to get rid of all the installed files.
Note: if you get a message like "
cannot compute sizeof (unsigned long)" when running
./configure, it probably means you didn't install the HDF5 library properly: you need to tell the runtime linker where to find it. On GNU/Linux, make sure there is a line
/etc/ld.so.conf and run
/sbin/ldconfig (assuming you installed HDF5 in the default location).
Note: if you installed the MPI (parallel) version of HDF5, you may get an error like
/usr/include/H5public.h:53:20: error: mpi.h: No such file or directory. This can be fixed by telling the compiler where to find the MPI header files, e.g. via:
The included utilities are:
- h5totxt and h5fromtxt: convert HDF5 datasets to/from ASCII text (e.g. comma- or tab-delimited). See the man pages of h5totxt and h5fromtxt for more information.
- h5topng: convert 2d slices of HDF5 datasets to PNG images, with a variety of color tables and other options. See the man page for more information. See Color tables in h5topng for information on the color tables.
- h5tov5d: convert HDF5 datasets to the format used by the free 3d+ visualization tool Vis5d. See the man page for more information. Note: to install h5tov5d you must have first compiled Vis5d, and you must specify
configurescript to specify the location dir of the Vis5d source directory.
- h5tovtk: convert HDF5 datasets to VTK format for use by the free Visualization ToolKit (along with supporting programs like MayaVi). See the man page for more information.
- h5math: create and combine HDF5 datasets with simple (pointwise) mathematical expressions. (Requires GNU libmatheval to be installed.) See the man page for more information.
- h5read.oct: a plug-in for GNU Octave (a Matlab-like program) to read 2d slices of HDF5 datasets. (The latest versions of Octave also include native support for HDF5, although it can't read slices like the
- h5fromh4 and h4fromh5: convert HDF (version 4) datasets to and from HDF5. These utilities are somewhat reduandant with the h4toh5 and h5toh4 programs provided by NCSA and the HDF Group (which are no longer bundled with HDF5, however). See the h5fromh4 and h4fromh5 man pages for more information.
License and Copyright
h5utils is Copyright © 1999–2008 Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
The following license governs the entire contents of h5utils except for the
h5tov5d.c file. See below.
- Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
- The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
- THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
h5tov5d.c and the resulting
h5tov5d binary are under the following different license, since they link with files from the GPL-covered Vis5d:
- This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
- This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
- You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA. You can also find it on the GNU web site: